This conversation, sponsored by the Praxis Peace Institute, is Episode 8 in our podcast series. It was recorded on April 10, 2020 and covers such critical questions as:
- What is the essence of money?
- What are the functions of money?
- Where does money come from?
- How does money enter the economy?
- Who controls the issuance and flow of money?
- Why does total debt in the world keep growing?
- Is the system of money, banking, and finance stable, fair, sustainable?
- Are there better ways to “do” money?
- Why have local currencies not been more successful?
- Are there any success stories?
- Is there a “magic formula” for making an alternative money system work?
It continues with a discussion of the history of local currency efforts in Sonoma County, California and a description of straight forward approaches to creating local liquidity that is independent of banks and conventional money.